Wednesday, July 29, 2009

things i already covet

Following on from yesterday's post on 'What I'm Coveting' i thought i'd show you why i'm not coveting much - i already have a lot of lovely things. Things with stories, and memories, and ways of making me smile! Awww. I mean really, i could show you everything i own, because if i didn't love it, i probably wouldn't own it, but that would be a blog unto itself, and really, who wants to see an entire week devoted to posts about each pair of my socks? No one. Didn't think so. So here is a small selection of things about my house which have a place in my heart...



Created with fd's Flickr Toys

Decole 'Boulangerie' mug/teapot Isn't it a sweetie? I actually have quite a bit of Decole, i just can't resist their cute products. This is a relatively new addition, but it's a mug with a lid on top, and the lower part has a strainer and is used as a tea pot! Ugh - i die. No sugar needed in that tea - its sweet enough!


Books! I love me some books. Mostly these are inspiring, shiny-paged, art books. I do read novels, but i love to surround myself with wonderful pictures and as a result i've filled two very big bookshelves with mostly art and design books. Its so good to curl up on the sofa and soak in a heavy, glossy paged book!


Psychedelic Scarves My grandma was an amazingly stylish lady, and i'm fortunate enough to have inherited her scarves. Although i rarely wear them, its so good to be able to have them in my closet. Not only are they a reminder of her, they're an inspiration on their own. Just look at those colors and patterns! And they're just the tip of the scarf-berg!


Orla Kiely bag I, along with quite a few others, am an Orla addict. Admitting i have a problem is the first step i've been told, but i think its her problem. Stop designing great bags, Ms Kiely! (please don't!! i take it back!) I have a few of her bags but this is my favourite. Its big, and durable and just look at those flowers. It makes my heart smile!


Bedroom art gallery Our bedroom is lovely and sunny (except at night - boom tish) so its a pretty happy place to wake up in. Up there on the wall is a gouache painting from APAK and a plastic picture of a deer and flowers by Swimmer (Japanese kawaii brand) a shadow box paper sculpture by Helen Musselwhite and an original acrylic painting of a boy & a guitar (just like my boy & his guitar) by Lab Partners.


Arabia Enamelware by Kaj Franck Another treasure inherited from my grandmother, the Arabia enamel pot and salad bowl are possibly my favourite things ever. I remember them from such an early age, and unknowingly my drawing style was heavily influenced by Kaj Franck's designs on them. They've served many a delicious meal and i love that something i love so much can be used, and really be a part of my day to day life.


Tchotchkes Just little things, kitschy bits and pieces. I have a lot of them, scattered around, in pigeon holes and little groups. Here we see a leg of a little blue deer, a vintage floral mug, a 'Friends with You' blind box toy and a postcard my grandma sent from Hawaii back in the 70s. Oh and the very edge of a 'Las Vegas' salt & pepper shaker - sin city seasoning!


Photo Graphis My mum was a graphic designer, back when graphic designing required rulers and pens and real tools. While i inherited a lot of her drawing tools, i must confess the pile of Graphis annuals have been used the most! And how could you resist that cover? Another day i'll post some scans because there is some really amazing stuff in these books.


Comfy colorful corners Like i said, i could easily post my entire house, but this corner sums it up. Its a happy, comfortable place i can go to and think about what a lucky girl i am to have not only such lovely surroundings, but what adorable people i have to share it with! L.u.c.k.y!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails