Thursday, October 8, 2009

hahndorf: chalet chic


the last week and half has been full of ups and downs but one of the highlights of our recent trip to south australia was a day in the adelaide hills. two very dear friends flew from sydney to be with me and lend their support and i'd spent most of their visit sitting in a hospital or with my family, so we were in need of a catch-up and something fun to do. we went up to hahndorf to stuff ourselves with food and just generally be a bit silly in what could be the kitsch-est place in australia.

for anyone living in germany, or anyone who has been to germany, hahndorf is going to either severely disappoint you or amuse you endlessly. its what crocodile dundee is to actual australian culture: its hyper-real. i have to say it amuses me endlessly. its a little town, about a half-hour drive out of south australia's capital city adelaide, founded by german settlers in 1839. its not all german themed (i kind of wish it was a disneyland of german-ness. they could call it deutschy-land maybe? but alas not everyone appreciates these things such as i do) but there are a lot of stein motifs and cuckoo clocks to be seen.

we ate kranskies, saurkraut, and potato salad. my friend drank a carbonated malt drink, and then we ate berliners, beestings cake, and danishes! and then we shopped for souvenirs...


... i like to think i have a streak of chalet chic in my home now!

if you'd like to know more about hahndorf click here and i hope you find it as amusing as i do. i think next time i visit i want to dress in lederhosen and use all my high school german phrases!

tschüss!


8 comments:

petapledger said...

Let's have a family trip there one day! x

Sarah said...

I love the cuckoo clock you bought! Hahndorf reminds me of Helen, Georgia, which is a mountain village that is also a "hyper-real" version of Germany! The town itself has all the architecture of a cuckoo clock - it is bright and kitch and unless you're prepared for the cheesiness, a bit strange at first - it makes for a great weekend at Oktoberfest!

Pilgrim Lee said...

peta - aww that'd be fab!! :D

sarah - that sounds so cool - germans in georgia, oh my! haha i think i'd like to live in a cuckoo clock house

Anonymous said...

hi hi, can you tell me whether the house next to the cuckoo clock is a humidity sensor? when it is dry the woman will be out.... i saw one when i was a kid and really l want to have one now...
thanks

ann

Pilgrim Lee said...

ann - yes! its a humidity sensor. i hope you can find one of you own. there is bound to be one ebay sooner or later - good luck :D

strawberry lemonade girl said...

OOOh Annonymous you TOTALLY remind me that we had a humidity sensor at our house!!!! (little house with man and woman who would poke out and tell you if there was rain! wow!)

Lady P, we have a town in Michigan like this called Frankenmuth. It's known for it decidedly UN German Fried Chicken Dinners! haha. I have a folder in my "Future Posts" with dirndls and cuckoo clocks. I love this stuff!!!

Pilgrim Lee said...

alex - frankenmuth chicken dinners! i love it! and i can't wait to see your bavarian chic post :)

apparentlyjessy said...

Hehe, gotta love trips to Harndorf! I love getting a big slice of bee-sting when I go there! I have a miniature cuckoo clock from my childhood that is very similar to the one on the left, it doesn't have a girl swing on the bottom sadly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails